15 Jan 6 Steps to God’s Will for Your Life and Business
6 Steps to God’s Will for Your Life & Business
God’s will for your life and business can be a rather controversial topic. The goal with today’s post is to give your practical steps to seek the Father in order to discover your God’s will for your life and business. The biggest simplicity to this is to ask yourself does this plan/action step line up with scripture?
Every week we coach Christian Entrepreneurs to grow their business biblically and by using online marketing. One of the reoccurring themes we have found is that too often entrepreneurs have their own plans and ideas and seek God to get His stamp of approval on the plan. Rather than seeking the Father for all answers, direction, or origination of the plan we take too much control of driving the business instead of relying on God’s leading.
“I don’t know about you but I DON’T want a business that I can’t build in my own strength, because then I know that Jesus is truly the CEO.”
Video: 6 Steps to God’s Will for Your Life and Business
6 Steps to God’s Will for Your Life and Business
- Walk closely with God. God is not a magic crystal ball that you can go to whenever you want to know something. God is relational and desires your regular attention and conversation. In order to know God’s will you must be able to recognize His voice and at first it takes time to get use to His voice and leading. Without this, how can you be sure it is Him who is leading you as opposed to our own selfish ambition? Proverbs 3:5-6
- Obedience. Obey what you already know to be God’s will. God gave us His word in order to know the way we should go. I’m not saying be perfect because that is unrealistic. What I am saying is that without obeying His word first how can we expect God to give us more direction when we haven’t followed through with existing direction? When God does give you steps, be obedient with the steps you have because He is one of order, foundation, and planning. I do not recommend skipping over steps because I feel it compromises God’s best plan for your life and business.
- Listen to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is God’s voice to you in your life and business. Too often we have found that entrepreneurs pray for business growth but don’t slow down enough to listen. There is a common cliché saying that says, “God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason.” Part of successful prayer is being still and taking time to listen to God! Again, God is relational and wants to speak to you but you must make yourself available to listen. John 10:27
- How has God wired you? Not everyone’s life and business plan is the same and God has created you uniquely in His image. God has already deposited gifts, talents, and inclinations to what you should do with your life and business. Being involved in full time ministry is not the majority or people’s plan. However, the marketplace being your mission field where you use what God has given you is! To discover more of how God has wired you we recommend taking the Kiersey temperament test, a strength finders test, and a spiritual gifts test. Every coaching client we bring on we have them take these three tests to diver deeper into how God has wired them for Gods will for their life and business. God has predisposed you to certain work and actions. Every person has their place in the body of Christ and it is important that you discover how God has wired you. 1 Peter 4:10
- Seek wise counsel. The Bible shares with us in Proverbs 11:14 NLT “Without wise leadership, a nation falls; there is safety in having many advisers.” Humbling yourself to learn from other that are further down the entrepreneurial journey can be incredibly conducive to discovering more of God’s will for your life and business. It is actually a position strength to have coaches, advisors, and mentors in your life. To apply for coaching you can click here to see if you are a good fit for Christ Centered Coaching.
- Surrender your will to God. Can I be totally honest for a second? Sometimes I don’t want to follow God’s will and I repel against what He is speaking to me. For myself this has been a challenging step. When you do not have an accurate view of God it is difficult to surrender your will to Him. For a long time I viewed God the same as my earthly father. Because of this I thought God wanted to control me. This view is flawed. The reality is that God has nothing but good gifts for us. We see Jesus himself surrendering His will to the Father’s will in Luke 22:42 “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”
God’s will for your life
Check out these scriptures to learn more of God’s character and perspective for your life and business.
Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. - Romans 12:2
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:18
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremy 29:11
Prayers for Business Growth. Prayers for God’s perfect will for your life and business.
Lord, please share with me your plan for my life and business. I choose to yield myself to your will and plan. Help me to be still and listen to you in this moment.
Pray this multiple times and then do your best to be still and try to listen to God. Once he speaks to you write down what He is saying to you. I suggest using our Christ Centered Journal to help you organize your business and relationship with God.
This is really a visioning exercise to discover God’s will for your life and business. For extra help in the visioning process check out these previous blog post on creating biblical vision for your life and business.
What step impacted you the most today? Leave a comment below and join the conversation with other Christ Centered Entrepreneurs.
Rev. Ron Gelok III
Want to show that you are Christ Centered? Click Here to pick up the Christ Centered Coaching Pin and Journal. Join the movement to take back the Business World for Christ!